The minute he got the call, he rushed to the hospital. She had met with an accident. Her car crashed against a lorry while trying to evade from hitting a small child. While she was still in the car, fire erupted from the engine. Doctors said she was alive. But that was it! Alive!
'Can I see her?' He asked.
'Can I see her?' He asked.
'Before you see her, can I have a word with you Mr. Dhruv?'. The doctor took him to the scan room and showed several x-rays and reports of which he understood nothing.
"Mr. Dhruv. The accident was severe. She had multiple fractures not only in her legs and hand but also near her cheek bones. It took us several hours to fix her up... because there were fire injuries also. We have done what we could." the doc paused.
"Mr. Dhruv. The accident was severe. She had multiple fractures not only in her legs and hand but also near her cheek bones. It took us several hours to fix her up... because there were fire injuries also. We have done what we could." the doc paused.
'I am listening' Dhruv said.
'Some of the marks in her body are permanent. Though she may recover physically, she may not be the same person she used to be. There will be changes in the way she walks and reacts because there were minor cracks near her skull. And... and... she may also look different'
'I don't understand. Are you saying Dhanya is no longer going to be herslef?' Dhruv asked.
'To an extent... yes. I wanted to tell you this because I know you both are getting married this weekend.'
'Yes. That's why she had gone for shopping.'
'I know. I think you may have to postpone it and maybe you even want to see her before you make any decisions further.' saying this, the doctor let him through the corridor.
Dhruv stood outside the door and looked at Dhanya.... or someone who was lying there in the bed. He stared at the body lying there for a minute and left the hospital without a word.
Dhanya opened her eyes. It was all blurry. Everything around her was white. For a second she thought she was in heaven. But it was the unbearable pain that spread through out her body made her realized that she was still alive. The pain soared in her and made her scream for help. It was worse than the fire that ate up half her face and the upper torso. The nurse rushed in and punctured a needle in her skin which made her nod off.
For days Dhanya came and went off her conscious. Every time she opened her eyes, she searched for Dhruv. But not once did she see him. After a month, when Dhanya was in full conscious, her bandages were removed. She asked the nurse to show a mirror to look at the damage the fire had done on her face. It was then she understood why Dhruv had not come.
Even Dhanya could not look at herself. Fire has done a lot of damages to her; not only physically but emotionally also. She cried for few days. Day and night. Crying did not bring any relief to her. It only increased the pain which stabbed her like a knife. What will I do now? Where will I go? was all ringing in her mind. She knew she has to go on, no matter what, but there was an empty space in her mind and heart which was aching for Dhruv and some answers from him. But she knew it would never happen.
'Good morning Dhanya. How are you feeling?' doctor asked.
'Fine doctor' she lied.
'Well you have recovered faster than I guessed. So from tomorrow we will be doing a couple of operations to fix your physical appearance. We will do our best. But some of the marks will be permanent Dhanya.'
'I understand that doctor'
'Ok then. Will see you later. Take rest'
As the doctor closed the door someone knocked at it and entered. It was Dhruv. He carried a huge bunch of red roses and wore a smile. Dhanya immediately turned away. She didn't want Dhruv to look at her like this. Though she had cursed him for leaving her abruptly, she thought Dhruv deserved someone good and not a half burned torso like her. She loved him wholeheartedly and at one point felt good that he had left her. Or else she herself would have forced him to leave her.
When she had convinced herself that there is going to be a life without Dhruv in it, here he stood smiling at her with roses in his hand.
'Go away' she shouted. 'I don't want to see you.'
Dhruv walked to her bed. He placed the roses next to her and held her hand carefully not to hurt her.
'I am sorry.' he said.
'Don't be. I can understand. There is nothing wrong with you. Look at me! I no longer recognize myself. It is good that you decided to leave me.' She said.
'Who said I left you? I know I didn't come to see you all these days. It doesn't mean that I left you.' he.
'Then where were you?'
'It took me some days Dhanya. To understand what has happened and what needs to be done. I am sorry. I know I love you and when I saw you that day like that... I was broken to pieces. I know I should have been with you, no matter whatever excuses I give.... but it took me some time to decide. Decide what needs to be done next' he.
'You decided the right thing. You can go away Dhruv. I will never ask you to stay.' she.
'No you silly. I didn't love you to leave you half way. That accident could have even happened to me. It didn't change you for who you are? It's just the outer reference. I don't care about them.' he.
'All these days you were...?? she.
'You know we had our marriage plans. I had to cancel them and postpone them. Then there was my mom. I had to convince her that no matter what I will marry you' he
'No Dhruv. You can’t marry me. Look at me.' She took a mirror beside her bed and placed it in front of her.
'No. Don't! Why do you need a mirror when I am here. Look at me to see how you look. I am your mirror Dhanya. Look at your reflections in me. You look beautiful.' he.
'Dhruv. Don't do this to yourself. I will never be able to... to...with you in...' words eluded her.
'Well if you are thinking about 'that'... well even I thought about it. I love you Dhanya. I love you for what you are and not for anything else. 'That' just forms a part of love. It is just a way of expressing our love to each other. That is not in any way going to change the way I feel for you. We can find other ways of expression' he.
'I am still not sure....' she.
'Look at you through my eyes Dhanya. You will feel what I feel. Just say 'I do' when the priest asks. Then we shall be together till the death do us apart.' He
Fin!!
Comments
Post a Comment