January 25th is observed as voters day. It is the day when the Election Commission was established. It is celebrated to impart the significance of voting among people. The day tries to emphasize that citizens are (supposed to be) the most powerful people in the country and not the politicians.
I remember the day I received my voters ID. I held it near my heart and felt so proud that at last I am going to be a responsible citizen. I felt proud. The card looked like a powerful weapon which will help the nation to choose its leaders. And it was it my hand. I had to use it wisely. One wrong decision and I would regret for 5 years! I felt a huge responsibility vested on my shoulders. Baghat singh, rang de basanti, mangal pandey - all the movies ran in my mind!
The day before the election I had a serious talk with one of my colleague in office. He considered voting as a waste of time. He said standing in long ques, sweating your day out, and dirtying your hand by getting a mark that takes weeks to go has no use. I stopped all my work and gave him a lecture as how ignorant and irresponsible he was! Almost my entire bay saw me arguing. I sounded very patriotic and supported my statement with lot of anecdotes and examples. Though this didn't change his opinion, I felt satisfied that I did my part as a citizen.
The next day was the judgment day. I was happy and smiling to myself that I was going to vote. I was going to make my nation proud. As the que moved inch by inch, the happiness meter was soaring high! And when I thought I was next, a huge shock hit me like a wave (Tsunami)! My name was not in the voters roll. Blink blink! They said I cant vote! All my hopes and all my responsibility dream went down the drain.
Next day when I went to my office, every single soul in my bay had the tiny beautiful black mark on their fingers, except me! I blackened out for the rest of the day!
Poor Me!
'O_o'
P.S. I am still not there in the voters roll! :(
Comments
Post a Comment