10 o 'clock. Door bell rings (ding dong!)
Shakti: Om, don’t you hear the doorbell ring. Go and see who it is.
Om: Yes mom… it is the paperboy mom.
Shakti: During Sundays even the paperboy gets time to rest. But look at me I am standing in the kitchen from five o’clock. Ghosh! I don’t know when I am going to get released from this hell.
Kathir: Shaktiiiii.... Can I get a cup of coffee please?
Shakti: (To herself) There he goes again. From morning he has already had four cups of coffee. Now he is again asking.
Kathir: Shakti what are you doing there. I asked for coffee.
Shakti: (Shouting from the kitchen) Do you think I am sitting and chatting with my friends? Can’t you see I am cooking? Why don’t you come and make for yourself?
Kathir: Come on dear! I am having some office work to do.
Shakti: Are you the only person working. Even I have brought some office work to be done. If I am not doing it today, tomorrow my boss will happily tare my seat!
Kathir: (Irritated) Now what did I ask you? Just a cup of coffee. For that why are you making such a mess? Forget that I asked! Go ahead... do your office work.
Shakti: Oh really? Then what will you do for lunch?
Kathir: We have wonderful restaurants in and around the area that serve quality food. Om and I can go there and have our food, while you can do your office work.
Shakti: Come again, come again, you will go and have food in the restaurant? Then why did you marry me? You get everything in the market out there.
Kathir: (Nodding) Yes mam. It is only now I realize my folly. I must have thought about this 12 yrs back. It was my foolishness that I loved you and married. (In muffled voice) I must have married the girl whom my parents saw.
Shakti: What did you say?
Kathir: I said I have spoiled my life by marrying a girl like you.
Shakti: (Comes out of the kitchen) No. You are not the fool. I am. I believed in you and left my family and came. My father warned me not to believe a mashed up guy like you. But I was a fool to marry you.
Kathir: So when your father warned you, why did you then come with me?
Shakti: I told na it was all my foolishness….
Kathir: Even now it is not too late. If you wish you can go to your father’s house.
Shakti: Why should I leave? This is my house. It was me who applied for the loan and it is me who is paying back the loan. If you want you can leave.
Kathir: Oh really? Fine I will leave (Keeps his lap top down and gets up). But sign and give in a bond paper.
Shakti: For what?
Kathir: Telling that you asked me to leave the house; and that you and me have no more relation any kind.
Shakti: (Throws a burning look at him) Sure I will sign that and throw that on your face right now.
Shakti: You can’t take Om away from me.
Kathir: Of course I can. He is my son.
Shakti: I am his mother. You can’t bring him up well.
Kathir: I can.
Shakti: Children will get spoiled if they are not with their mother.
Kathir: Oh! How do you know that?
Shakti: Duh! A proof is standing right in front of me! You didn’t have mother and see what you have become.
Kathir: Really? But you had mother right?
Shakti: I still have.
Kathir: Then why are you like this?
Shakti: You mean I am bad?
Kathir: You have any doubt in that?
Shakti: (Angrily) you you…….. Fine. But I can’t allow you to take him.
Kathir: I will. If only a mother can nourish her son properly, I will remarry another women.
Shakti: You what?
Kathir: I am still an eligible guy in marriage market! Will divorce you and marry someone else. Someone who can make coffee without cribbing!
Kathir: I just did! So what are you going to do?
(Shakti goes inside the bedroom and locks the door)
Kathir: (Shouts) Now don't put up a show! I am not going to fall for any of your acts! (He sits in his chair and takes a newspaper to read)
Om: (Bangs on the door) Mom.... Open the door. (Turns to his dad) Dad she is doing something inside. Ask her to open the door!
Kathir: (Tensed) Shakti open the door. Fine. I am sorry! I didn't mean anything of what I said. Open the door.
(He keeps banging and breaks open it.)
Shakti: (Packing her bag) I am leaving.
Kathir: Where?
Shakti: Somewhere where I cant see your face. (She prepares to leave)
(Kathir gives one tight slap across her face. She drops her bag and starts weeping)
Shakti: You asked me to leave and now you are blocking. What am I supposed to do?
Shakti: Then why did you say you will marry some one?
Kathir: Even you said you will leave me.
Shakti: You know I cant live without you! I was angry and words just popped out if mouth! I am sorry...
Kathir: Idiot. I am sorry too. Don't leave me!
Shakti: Why shouldn't I leave you? (Asks with a teasing smile)
Kathir: If you leave who will cook for me? Who will make sure that I had my lunch? Who will have my dress ironed? Who will make sure that Om doesn't get spoiled like me? And above all who will I love and live for?
Shakti: (Sobbing) I love you!
Kathir: I know.
Om: Mom, if your fight is over can you please start cooking. I am hungry.
Shakti: Poda. I cant cook.
(Kathir and Om exchange glances.)
Shakti: Let's go to a restaurant and have some nice food for once! (Laughs)
Kathir: (Laughing) But before that, Shakti where is my coffee?
'O_o'
ha hah... I liked it!!! pretty much a door-to-door story!
ReplyDelete:)
ReplyDelete