Skip to main content

Everyday affair...

10 o 'clock. Door bell rings (ding dong!)

Shakti: Om, don’t you hear the doorbell ring. Go and see who it is.

Om: Yes mom… it is the paperboy mom.

Shakti: During Sundays even the paperboy gets time to rest. But look at me I am standing in the kitchen from five o’clock. Ghosh! I don’t know when I am going to get released from this hell.

Kathir: Shaktiiiii.... Can I get a cup of coffee please?

Shakti: (To herself) There he goes again. From morning he has already had four cups of coffee. Now he is again asking.

Kathir: Shakti what are you doing there. I asked for coffee.

Shakti: (Shouting from the kitchen) Do you think I am sitting and chatting with my friends? Can’t you see I am cooking? Why don’t you come and make for yourself?

Kathir: Come on dear! I am having some office work to do.

Shakti: Are you the only person working. Even I have brought some office work to be done. If I am not doing it today, tomorrow my boss will happily tare my seat!

Kathir: (Irritated) Now what did I ask you? Just a cup of coffee. For that why are you making such a mess? Forget that I asked! Go ahead... do your office work.

Shakti: Oh really? Then what will you do for lunch?

Kathir: We have wonderful restaurants in and around the area that serve quality food. Om and I can go there and have our food, while you can do your office work.

Shakti: Come again, come again, you will go and have food in the restaurant? Then why did you marry me? You get everything in the market out there.

Kathir: (Nodding) Yes mam. It is only now I realize my folly. I must have thought about this 12 yrs back. It was my foolishness that I loved you and married. (In muffled voice) I must have married the girl whom my parents saw.

Shakti: What did you say?

Kathir: I said I have spoiled my life by marrying a girl like you.

Shakti: (Comes out of the kitchen) No. You are not the fool. I am. I believed in you and left my family and came. My father warned me not to believe a mashed up guy like you. But I was a fool to marry you.

Kathir: So when your father warned you, why did you then come with me?

Shakti: I told na it was all my foolishness….

Kathir: Even now it is not too late. If you wish you can go to your father’s house.

Shakti: Why should I leave? This is my house. It was me who applied for the loan and it is me who is paying back the loan. If you want you can leave.

Kathir: Oh really? Fine I will leave (Keeps his lap top down and gets up). But sign and give in a bond paper.

Shakti: For what?

Kathir: Telling that you asked me to leave the house; and that you and me have no more relation any kind.

Shakti: (Throws a burning look at him) Sure I will sign that and throw that on your face right now.

Kathir: (Becomes serious) So you can do that huh? Fine! When you say you can, then you will. No need for that writing. I am going right away with our son.

Shakti: You can’t take Om away from me.

Kathir: Of course I can. He is my son.

Shakti: I am his mother. You can’t bring him up well.

Kathir: I can.

Shakti: Children will get spoiled if they are not with their mother.

Kathir: Oh! How do you know that?

Shakti: Duh! A proof is standing right in front of me! You didn’t have mother and see what you have become.

Kathir: Really? But you had mother right?

Shakti: I still have.

Kathir: Then why are you like this?

Shakti: You mean I am bad?

Kathir: You have any doubt in that?

Shakti: (Angrily) you you…….. Fine. But I can’t allow you to take him.

Kathir: I will. If only a mother can nourish her son properly, I will remarry another women.

Shakti: You what?

Kathir: I am still an eligible guy in marriage market! Will divorce you and marry someone else. Someone who can make coffee without cribbing!

Shakti: I cant believe you said that.

Kathir: I just did! So what are you going to do?

(Shakti goes inside the bedroom and locks the door)

Kathir: (Shouts) Now don't put up a show! I am not going to fall for any of your acts! (He sits in his chair and takes a newspaper to read)

Om: (Bangs on the door) Mom.... Open the door. (Turns to his dad) Dad she is doing something inside. Ask her to open the door!

Kathir: (Tensed) Shakti open the door. Fine. I am sorry! I didn't mean anything of what I said. Open the door.

(He keeps banging and breaks open it.)

Shakti: (Packing her bag) I am leaving.

Kathir: Where?

Shakti: Somewhere where I cant see your face. (She prepares to leave)

(Kathir gives one tight slap across her face. She drops her bag and starts weeping)

Shakti: You asked me to leave and now you are blocking. What am I supposed to do?

Kathir: You stupid. How dare you leave me and go.

Shakti: Then why did you say you will marry some one?

Kathir: Even you said you will leave me.

Shakti: You know I cant live without you! I was angry and words just popped out if mouth! I am sorry...

Kathir: Idiot. I am sorry too. Don't leave me!

Shakti: Why shouldn't I leave you? (Asks with a teasing smile)

Kathir: If you leave who will cook for me? Who will make sure that I had my lunch? Who will have my dress ironed? Who will make sure that Om doesn't get spoiled like me? And above all who will I love and live for?

Shakti: (Sobbing) I love you!

Kathir: I know.

Om: Mom, if your fight is over can you please start cooking. I am hungry.

Shakti: Poda. I cant cook.

(Kathir and Om exchange glances.)

Shakti: Let's go to a restaurant and have some nice food for once! (Laughs)

Kathir: (Laughing) But before that, Shakti where is my coffee?

'O_o'

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Out of the Box

Bangalore - a city of dreams! Thousands of people across the country travel to this city in hopes of finding a footprint for a promising future. With the same hope and aspirations, I – a big girl from a big city – moved to Bangalore. Being a daddy’s girl throughout the first quarter of my life, stepping out of the house was super scary. But I managed to put on a brave face and moved to the city to #StartANewLife. Even though I was prepared to face what is to come, the fear of the unknown refused to leave my mind. Everything was different. The food, language, culture, the kind of people I met, even my biological clock changed. I missed my friends, my dad, the scorching heat, my bessy beach, and much more. Although I was surrounded by people, I felt lonely. With some blind courage, I slowly started my journey in this beautiful city. The city did not ignore me. It was open to be explored. It was me who had to open up a little bit and adapt to the new surroundings. The fi...

Men I Met (Through proper channel)!

Wow.. It’s less than a week and here I am writing another blog post. Maybe it is the strong sensation of desire to stick to at least one of my New Year resolutions! This post is also part of my ‘write drunk and edit sober’ series! 2016 has just began and already people I know (and don’t know) have started to hope and wish that I’ll be married by this year end. Well, I can’t blame them though! People who know me well are aware that the process of finding a groom started in 2011, i.e. a year after my sister got married. So they are obviously thinking ‘Why is she still single?’ People whom I don’t know well are thinking ‘She is 28! Oh gosh! Why isn’t she married yet? Doesn’t she know that her biological clock is ticking?’ The worst part about both the sides is that they start to give me advice on how to speed up the process. It usually starts with shedding few extra kilos and ends up with lowering the expectations! I wish to take all their opinions on a positive note ...

Boy Meeting the Girl - BMG!

‘You got to be kidding me’ I was telling to myself for the nth time. Sitting in front of me was Keshav (Keshavan Kottakal), a Nair groom from a proper Tharavad in Pallakad. He is working in an IT company in Chennai for the last three years, with a salary that has allowed him to buy an i-20 and a house in one of the posh locations in the outskirts of the city. He is the younger among two brothers. His father is no more and his mother is settled with his elder brother in USA taking care of her five month old grandchild. Basically his application for the post of ‘son-in-law’ was not just suffice but more than perfect for my dad. Keshav was the sixth or seventh ‘probable groom’ I am meeting in the last three months. All the men whom I met during the drama of ‘boy meeting the girl’ (BMG) were more or less the same. Receding hairline, ironed formal shirts, no-nonsense looks with a tint of their local district accent to their Malayalam. Everyone was worried about my cooking talent and my inab...