She has been seeing him for a while now.
Though they were sitting just five cubicles away from each
other, it has never gone beyond casual looks. Yes! By ‘seeing’, it meant
throwing glances at each other all day long at regular intervals!
Whenever he got a phone call, which was like every one hour,
he used to take it outside the cubicle and followed Idea’s strategy of ‘Walk
and Talk’ in the aisle nearby. As her seat was near the aisle, the number of
glances they shared only increased with every phone call. But, it was just that
– A look. Not even a smile. Just a numb, meaningless stare.
However, for the last one week he’s been missing. She looked
up whenever she heard a male voice near the aisle. But he was nowhere to be
seen. She even scouted the entire floor in the hope that maybe his seat got
shifted to another corner. Unfortunately, that was not the case. After few more
days of waiting, she finally gave up.
One day, post lunch, when she was waiting in line to fill
her water bottle, she felt as if someone was watching her. With an annoyed
look, she turned to see who it was. And tada! There he stood. In an impulse,
she smiled at him wide mouthed. Surprisingly, he also returned the gesture.
At that instance, about a hundred questions got raised inside
her head. The one that topped the list was ‘Did he go on leave for his wedding?’
This was because he vanished from office for exactly three weeks which is the
office approved duration for wedding. Just then, he got a call.
The call went on something like this “Hello….Hi Siddique….Yes,
I am in office today. Yes, I got the invite for today’s call and I have all the
documents ready for the call… huh? Pardon? Ya mom is fine now. She is
discharged and she is with me here.. I have appointed a home nurse to take care
of her till the time I reach home.. yeah.. sure… bye.”
It was as if he indirectly answered her question. By this
time, the guy in front of her had filled his bottle and moved away. When she
was about to move towards the filter, she noticed that he had a half-liter
bottle in his hand, while she had a one liter bottle.
Clearing her throat, she said ‘Why don’t you fill your
bottle first. I’ll take time to fill mine’. And he said ‘That’s ok. I don’t mind standing here or the
waiting part’ with a twinkle in his eyes.
It is at that moment she felt that, from now on, the glances
are going to be more than just a numb, meaningless stare.
'O_o'
Comments
Post a Comment