Skip to main content

It's a boy!

It was a usual day in office. The same old boss, the same old Captivate training development, the same old everything else. I wasn’t really expecting anything to change that day. Nothing changes much any other day either for that matter!

When I was about to go for my third tea break, I got a call from my dad. My sister had gone into labor. She was thirty-three years old with so many complications and hence my dad sounded super worried on the call.

My Manager was generous enough to let me take off for the rest of the day (of course with a promise from my end that I will compensate this off on a Saturday!).

Within forty-five minutes I reached the hospital. Many people get a clumsy feeling when they enter a hospital. But I never get that. Coming from a family with a list of hereditary diseases carried forward, the number of times I have visited hospital is more than the number of times I have been to Disney Land!!

When I reached the labor ward, I could see my mom and my dad holding hands, and praying that everything should be fine. My brother-in-law was pacing the ward up and down, and constantly updating his parents about the status.

There is one thing you need to know about the labor ward. When you enter the ward, it might be completely silent, because all the babies are sleeping. But when one baby starts to wail, it’s like a rock concert. Every other baby in the ward starts to cry and no one can be in peace for the rest of the day!

After what seemed like an hour wait for the Kaveri Express train (It’s the train that runs between Bangalore-Chennai and it always comes late by an hour or more), the doctor finally came out of the operation theater. It’s a boy! There are absolutely no words to express the happiness I saw in my mom’s face. Her daughter gave birth to a boy – a mission which she was not able to accomplish!
We all wanted to see the baby. But the doctor said that he should be in observation for the next two days before he could be handed over to us. But my brother-in-law was given an opportunity to take a glimpse at him, while the rest of us were asked to anxiously wait for at least a day.

The next day, I happily took off from office, promising my manager another gruesome working weekend, and went to hospital to take care of my sister. As the baby was not expected to be handed over to us at least till that noon, I was the only one put in charge for the hospital duty. When I entered the room, my sister was lying on the bed not able to move a bit due to the epidural and also due to the fact that she was sleeping!

With nothing much to do, I was also about to nod off in the guest bed. That’s when it happened.
A nurse walked in with a small bundle in her hand. She smiled at me and was trying to hand over the bundle to me. When I peeked into the bundle, I realized it was my nephew. Before that day I have never seen a new born baby. The ones I have seen are only in movies and they were pretty big as the teddy bears I had during my childhood. But the one in the nurse hand was so tiny that it could have fitted in my coffee mug.

Being lost in my thoughts I forgot to notice that the nurse was literally thrusting the baby over to me. My efforts of denial were not heard. She somehow managed to put the baby in my arms. With trembling hands and not knowing what to do, I was almost in tears. That’s when I heard a sweet and an almost silent squeak from the bundle in my hand. My nephew, tried to get comfortable in my arms and when he became comfortable he yawned. I sat down slowly so that even the slightest of my moment doesn’t wake him up. That’s when I noticed him closely. He was a hairy little creature with a dimple (already!) on his cheeks. He was so small and could easily curl up in my palm.


By now my sister was awake. I carefully made my move towards the bed and showed him to my sister. Both of us were speechless for almost a minute. She couldn’t believe that she gave birth to child and I couldn’t believe that I became an aunt! While both of us were staring at him, he smiled or it at least looked like one. That’s when both of us broke the silence and burst in to tears of joy. It’s been two years and the bundle that was placed in my hand has become my sweet little bundle of joy!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Long Years

It has been a million years since I visited my blog and a million more since I last touched my laptop. Yes, you heard it right! For someone who works in an IT company, being away from the computer/laptop is just impossible. It became possible as the 'little bundle of joy' entered my life. Well it's been only eight months (can add ten more if we consider the time that he rented my uterus) since he happened, so the 'million years' might sound like an exaggeration. But trust me it's not. Anyways, I have been thinking of writing something for a while now before I forget words and remember only sounds like gaga and gugu. Though I honestly want to vent out about how difficult and tiring motherhood his, which I do to every single soul that I see, I just realized something - I completed five years at my company! It is a HUGE achievement for me from a professional front since the longest I have ever stayed in an organization was 18 months! Not my fault. I hav...

I wish I was a MAN/DAD!

I have always wanted to be a boy/man. I mean, it's a thought or desire that I have always had since my teen to be born in a different gender because of all the benefits the other gender gets. Physically and emotionally I am a woman, but dreamt or desired to be a man for its benefits. Some might ask what benefit? Well, let me give example from my current situation. I am a mom. Like, I am a mom, 24/7. There is no pause in this role. Since the day I came to know I am pregnant, which is around three years (counting the time I was pregnant) I have been a mom. This statement might be confusing for a lot of people. What does it mean by 'I have been a mom'?  To clarify, since the day I found out I was pregnant, I have been a mom. Not a person with a job, not a soul with desires, not anyone else but a mom. But, my husband, has been able to be what he choose to be. An employee, a son, a husband, a party goer, a sleepy head and much more. He got to choose and still does to be what he ...

Sleep and Let Sleep

It was second week in a row. Abhi was going through a new developmental milestone – walking. Though this was super exciting for Meera, she was not able to enjoy it completely since new milestone leads to behavioral regression, which in Abhi’s case was always sleep regression. Abhi has not slept through the night for two weeks now and Meera is almost on the verge of her meltdown. Whenever this has happened before, Meera would sleep through the day while the babysitter took care of Abhi. Now that she has resumed work, she is losing her sleep and her mind. Last night, Abhi went to sleep around midnight and woke up several times during the night. Meera tried feeding, rocking, and singing to her 15-month-old but gave up when he refused to shut his eye when the clock struck six in the morning. Meera was exhausted. Her aching back and sore breasts only worsened her condition. She tried to entertain Abhi on the bed so that she could at least rest her back. But he refused to settle there an...